Roots 'n' Shoots: Bonsai Exhibition 2007

Why is RnS Moving to whiskerflowers.wordpress.com?

Google had brought out an algorithm update in May 2017. With previous updates like Panda or Penguin, Mr G had penalized blogs or websites with low quality content and those more focused on aggressive adverts (including multiple ads or pop-up ads in articles). However, many blogs/websites that weren't shady got penalized beyond recovery too and a lot of people lost their income. The May 2017 update has had wide-scale effect on blogs and websites, but without any explanation from Mr G as to why or what it does. RnS has been hit by it too and hard. RnS organic search stats (i.e. users from Google) have dropped by 75% since. Even though RnS is not a source of income, I tried to figure out why RnS is being culled. It seems that it doesn't really have anything to do with RnS per se, but likely because RnS is FREE and not paying for page ranking (via AdWords or Ad Ranking). Now it is likely being aggressively shoved to lower page rankings to accommodate the paid ads.

I cannot rely on Mr G anymore to get RnS' content where it is needed. So I am busy moving RnS to Wordpress where you can find me as Whisker Flowers @ https://whiskerflowers.wordpress.com/

I am also imposing 301 redirects from already moved posts and pages!

- The Shroom - (AKA Whisker Flowers)

Saturday 13 July 2013

Bonsai Exhibition 2007



I was browsing through some old photos and came across some I took of a Bonsai exhibition at a shopping centre (Cresta) not far from us. This exhibition was before I even started vegetable gardening (in 2008!) or the blog (2011!) J.

Bonsai is a word derived from Japanese, Bon- meaning shallow and -sai meaning plant. The art for was originally from China and is based on studies of tree shapes in nature. This idealised landscape is recreated in miniature utilising specific pruning and wiring techniques to ‘force’ the tree into a certain shape.

I have tried my hand at a Chinese May Bonsai. After having the tree for two years, the cats knocked it off of the table and it fell roots-and-all out of the pot. This happened in winter and I assume that it was just too much for it and it died L. Seeing the old photos has inspired me to try again, this time from a larger shrub rather than a pre-shaped nursery stock.


I only found pictures of my Chinese May when I just got it and after its first pruning. I don't have photos of it at its later stage. I was aiming for an informal upright and had the branches nicely flattened after having them pinned down on a wooden chopping block like Gulliver for three months. As I remember it started to look pretty good... ah well here it is.



Now on to the exhibition - I didn't take photos of all the plaques, so I don't know some of their ages.


Cascade
Num Num Bonsai
Candelabra
Deodar Cedar Bonsai























Clump
Ivy Bonsai
1963
Literati
White Olive (Buddleja saligna)
1867?




















Twin Trunk
Wild Olive
1847?
Raft or scene Bonsai
1982
Semi-cascade
Juniper
1985
Root over rock
Natal Fig Bonsai
1965






















Informal upright
English Privet Bonsai
1935


I remember there being two really old ones, I can't exactly make out the dates, but they seem to be the White Olive (1867, 146 years) and the Wild Olive (1847, 166 years). They are all lovely!




Which one is your favorite? Do you have a bonsai or tried your hand at one?



_________________________________________________________________________________
If you enjoy the content please share with fellow gardening enthusiasts via the various sharing buttons at the end of posts/pages! Else you can vote for posts through the Google reactions bar at the end of articles. To stay up to date I have provided several reader and social networking platforms with which to subscribe: TwitterPinterestRSS Feed Reader or Email/Follow directly using the Blog Followers or Follow Your Way widget on the left hand side toolbar. Thank you for reading and please feel free to ask if questions arise - I appreciate comments and ideas too! J
_________________________________________________________________________________

Absolutely Gorgeous Beautique

Absolutely Gorgeous Beautique
Your beauty, weight loss, slimming and skin care salon of choice! Products with International Shipping!